Friday 26 July 2013

Cold-waterproofing your fins

And now for something completely jury-rigged - AKA, crude but effective:

I live in the Toronto area.  As such, some of our waters are cold early and late in the season (or under ice).  I have a set of fins that fits 6mm socks, so I am fine, but not all of my dive partners have thought as far ahead... and as a result their feet get cold and they have to get out of the water before me.

This means that I do not have a safety / spotter / buddy and therefore my dive ends prematurely... ARGH!

The traditional way has been to wear "oversocks" which is just a pair of neoprene socks of the desired thickness with the toe cut off, so that you can roll them down over your fins, once they are on.  This helps with the ankle and heel area... but the toe is still exposed and most fins have an opening there that will let the cold water in.


I find that oversocks work best with a monofin, which more often is tight-fitting (no room for thick socks inside), has a closed toe and open heel.

To deal with the toe-opening, I have jury-rigged a patch that can be done easily / cheaply for cold water dives.  Make sure your safety divers / spotters have this done so that your dive isn't cut short by their poor preparation!

Start with a duct tape patch:


Then start wrapping with electrical tape:

Until fully sealed!

It may not look pretty... but it is simple and effective!

Note that electrical tape can also be used to tighten up a loose footpocket on a borrowed fin, etc.around the top of the foot or even in place of finkeepers (if they are forgotten).

No comments:

Post a Comment